#MenageMonday Challenge – Week 42

Three prompts living under one challenge roof?

Welcome to #MenageMonday!

Week 42

Rules Recap

• This is a Flash Fiction challenge. Your story must be a minimum of 100 words, maximum of 200 words.
  • Incorporate each of the three prompts into your story. The phrase prompt (and anything else in quotations) MUST be used exactly as given.
  • Post your story into the comments of this post.
  • Include your word count (or be excluded from judging).
  • Please include your Twitter handle or email.
  • The contest opens at 7 A.M. and closes at 10 P.M. Eastern Time.
  • Generally speaking, the winners will be revealed Tuesday evening, huzzah!

So what do you get for all your time and effort, you ask? Badges, of course. (What, you thought this was a funded operation?) #MenageMonday awards THREE (squeeee!) badges each week:

• There is the undisputed CHAMP. Rather self explanatory.
  • There is the JUDGE’S PET, for best use of the Judge’s prompt.
  • Last but not least, the JUDGE gets a badge, because Judges need love, too.

Our Judge for Week 42:

Writer, Artist, Blogger, Lover of Hockey, Creativity & Life Purpose Coach…

Angie Richmond | @write_me_happy

Challenge Time!

Your mission, should you choose to accept it:

The Photo:

The Phrase: “[it/this] all started” (this can appear anywhere in the story)

The Judge’s Prompt: a quote… “I can resist anything except temptation.” -Oscar Wilde

And we’re off. The clock is ticking. Good writing and good luck!

32 comments on “#MenageMonday Challenge – Week 42

1. I can blame my sister Sheree. It all started when I told her of my first permitted trip out in ten years. She said I should come and join her in America and as I was going slightly stir-crazy I jumped at the chance. I would have done anything to get out of that place and I can resist anything except temptation.

What I hadn’t bargained on was her wanting to take me to Las Vegas. Yes, I suppose I’m naïve but that goes with the job.

So we walked into the club and I was fascinated. Not shocked, not like I should have been but seeing all these lovely girls with naked breasts and glitter and fabulous costumes… I was walking around with my mouth hanging open.

We went to a roulette table and I borrowed $20 off Sheree and I won. I continued to win until a crowd of people gathered around to watch. It was the best two hours of my life.

People cheered when I won five grand and bought me cocktails. But then I suppose it isn’t every day you see a Franciscan nun at a roulette table.

Word count 187
    @CameronLawton

2. The Las Vegas sign hovered over me and I couldn’t believe it. I was here, finally.

It had taken me three days and all the cash I had saved up, but this was what I’d wanted.

A black car rolled to a stop beside me, and I nearly choked with fear. It had big bold letters written on the side, and that’s where it all started. “I can resist anything except temptation,” it read.

The back door opened wide, and I hesitated. Could I do this? Was this really what I wanted to do in the foreseeable future?

“In one minute, we will leave, and you will not get another chance,” a female voice said.

My face was burning red as I got in the car, opposite the woman. I was terrified, and slightly turned on.

“You’ve been accepted, but that does not guarantee graduation,” she said and pursed her lips.

“I know,” I answered, my voice shaking.

“Mistress,” she added, coldly.

“Mistress,” I repeated, and hung my head low and displayed my hands as they lay on my thighs.

“There may be hope for you, yet. If your mind can handle it,” Mistress purred, and then we started moving.

Word count: 200
    @ChessnySilth

3. Bright Lights

I can’t remember when it all started, but for as long as I can remember I needed to gamble, it was more important than breathing.

After months of begging and then planning I was finally here, Vegas-my holy land. Bright lights, bells, sirens, happy laughing people-it was all I imagined and more. Walking past the rows and rows of slot machines a casual observer wouldn’t have noticed my sweaty palms or my heart pounding-I was in heaven. I only had 24 hours and $500 so determined to make it last I sat down at a dollar slot machine. Soon the flashing lights and tinkling bells had me in their spell-I didn’t eat, drink or sleep, just sat and put coin after coin into the mouth of the machine. All too soon I realised I was down to my last coin and as I slid it into the machine I prayed that I would win something. No flashing lights, no sirens, no tumble of coins into the tray. I was finished, my dream was over.

Vegas had promised me everything yet took everything, but I knew that I would be back and next time,….

193 words

4. Robin Abess on said:

Viva Las Vegas

‘Bright light city, gonna set my soul, gonna set my soul on fire…’ The song ran through her mind as Donna looked in wonder at the brightly lit sign above her. It all started when she entered a contest, writing a jingle for a soap company. To her surprise, she’d won the grand prize – a trip to Las Vegas! She, who had scarcely been out of the state where she’d lived her whole life, was going to ‘Sin City’. Dan refused to go with her. He had called her all kinds of things and told her if she went, they were through. For once in her life, Donna did what she wanted.

She found herself walking through the heat of the night, past casino after casino, just drinking in the scenery and the feel of excitement in the air. It was outside one of the brightly lit hotels that she saw him. Dark hair, dark eyes and that well known sneer on pouting lips. His eyes met hers and locked on them. He smiled and she was lost. As he held out his hand, she took it.

“I can resist anything except temptation,” she murmured as she followed him.

199 words {without title}
    @Angelique_Rider

5. Temptations
    by Lisa McCourt Hollar

It all started with a girl. If she hadn’t been a red head, maybe Daniel wouldn’t have noticed. What am I talking about, he woulda noticed. I noticed and I don’t swing that way.

“What are you doing?” I asked, as he grabbed his chips off the table.

“You know me, I can resist anything but temptation.”

“I thought we were on vacation.”

“Just give it to me,” he said.

I sighed and reached into my purse. I had a regular pharmacy in there. Whatever your pleasure, I could provide, but it was the Rohypnol I was looking for. My brother liked his women compliant.

She was sipping something fruity. I bumped into her, dropping my purse and scattering lipstick, keys and casino chips across the floor.

“Oh shit,” she laughed. Bending to help, she flashed me a smile that made me question whether or not I was straight. God, why did my legs feel like jello? Over her shoulders I saw Daniel slip the drug into her glass.

“Thank you,” I said.

Smiling, she picked up the cocktail and finished the drink. Then she winked at me and swaggered out of the club. A few moments later we followed.

Word Count: 200
    @jezri1

I couldn’t stop at just 200. If you would like to find out what happens, you can go here: http://www.lisamccourthollar.com/2012/08/temptations.html

6. It all started innocently enough I went out for some drinks with co-workers. My position had been eliminated after ten years. My former co-workers kept buying me drinks and like an idiot I kept throwing them back. At some point they left and I stayed. Now I’m waking up in Vegas, staring into the face of a nude man. On the bedside table some official papers. It seemed we had gotten married yesterday.
    I stared in shock at the man as he opened his eyes. He was starting to look very familiar; in fact I knew him. He had been my high school boyfriend John.
    “Hello beautiful.” John exclaimed.
    “We’re married?” I asked
    “To quote Oscar Wilde ‘I can resist anything except temptation’ and there you were my dream girl that got away. We talked and then we got on a flight to Vegas.” John explained
    “I don’t remember it.” I complained.
    “Don’t you remember Elvis as the officiate and the wedding gown I bought you?” John asked sounding hurt and pointing to a dress.
    John smiled at me, my heart melted and all the memories rushed back to me. I remembered everything and why I had married him .It wasn’t just a drunken whim, for me too he was the one who got away.
    “I remember.” I replied
    John took me in his arms.
    We’ve been married fifty years now and this is the first time the children will hear the true story of our marriage. Life is good.
    250 words
    @SweetSheil

• revised

It all started innocently going out for some drinks with co-workers to commiserate the elimination of my position. They kept buying me drinks and I kept throwing them back. I wake-up in Vegas, staring into the face of a nude man very familiar man, my high school boyfriend. The bedside table holding a marriage licence.

“Hello beautiful.” John exclaimed.

“We’re married?” I asked

“I don’t remember it.” I complained.

“I remember.” I replied

John took me in his arms.

200 words
      @SweetSheil

7. Bob Mahone on said:

People are always asking me, “How does a would-be preacher end up a professional gambler?”

Well, it all started back in ’91. I’d gone out to California to find God. Hey, that’s where all the New York radio ministries had their churches.

Anyway, the seminary I tried to get into frowned upon my divorce and told me I should go back east and be reconciled with my ex. So, I left L. A. with a tank of gas and thirty bucks.

Unfortunately, my clutch started acting up after my first stop. It wouldn’t shift. I kept jacking up the van and knocking it off the jack just to get turned around at MacDonalds. I found I could switch from first gear to third with a hammer. So, I used first gear to get me to I-15. I then crawled under the car, knocked it into third, and sputtered down the ramp to build up speed.

I was running low on gas as I reached Vegas. I was worried because they call it “Sin City”. But, once I saw the cross on the welcome sign, I figured God was still with me. Btw: so is the twenty-five bucks I arrived with.

@Computilizer
    200 Words

• Bob Mahone on said:

Unfortunately, my clutch started acting up after I stopped. It wouldn’t shift. I had to keep knocking the van off the jack to get away from MacDonalds. I found I could switch from first gear to third with a hammer. So, I used first gear to get me to I-15. I then crawled under the car, knocked it into third, and sputtered down the ramp to build up speed.

I was running low on gas as I reached Vegas, and worried because they call it “Sin City”. I can resist anything except temptation. But, once I saw the cross on the welcome sign, I figured God was still with me. Btw: so is the twenty-five bucks I arrived with.

@Computilizer
      200 Words

8. The officer sat across the desk from me. I was trying to explain everything.

“This all started when Jenna declared, ‘Let’s go to Vegas!’ She was pretty, and she grabbed my hand, dragging me toward the car. Tim Allen said it best. ‘Breasts make men stupid.’ And she had a good rack. And the best looking ass I’ve ever seen. Now, I can resist anything except temptation, so yeah. Vegas it was. I mean. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, right?”

“Um-hum.”

“God, what a night. Jenna was as much fun as she looked. I woke up this morning, she was gone. Took my wallet, phone, keys, car. I’ve got no ID. No credit cards. Nothing.”

“Jenna, hunh?” He shook his head. “Your wife’s on the way to pick you up. Have fun explaining Jenna to her.”

I had to ask, “Can I stay in here, where it’s safe?”

He laughed again. “In here? You’d end up Bubba’s bitch.”

“At least I’d be alive!”

One nasty divorce I wound up in this trailer park. Paying child support for the next 15 years.

Yep. Never will forget that trip to Vegas with Jenna.

200 Words
    @LurchMunster

9. “Hey, Chayse, hold up, will you?” Nik grabbed his younger brother and spun him around. The brilliant lights of the Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas sign illuminated every drop of sweat soaking his hair, and his chest rose and fell like a bellows. Chayse bared his teeth and Nik let go. “Talk to me, man. What the hell is wrong with you?”

“She’s evil, Nik. You don’t understand.” He stared at the current newly married couple having their portrait shot at the Sign.

“You’re right. I don’t understand. Why don’t you help me get to where you are?”

“What?”

“Explain it to me, Chayse. What’s going on with Lady Aislynn?”

“It’s not Aislynn!”

“Then why are you such an asshole to her? She didn’t do anything to you.”

“It’s not her, it’s what she is.” Chayse growled at Nik’s blank look. “It all started with Celine–”

“Yeah, I know. She was a succubus and addicted you.”

“She damn near killed me! Aislynn will, too.”

“Shit, man, we have to solve this crime. Maybe together we can resist Aislynn’s pull.”

“‘I can resist anything except temptation’. Oscar Wilde.”

“Yeah, well, Oscar didn’t have a twin. I got your back, brother.”

200 #WIP500 words
    @SiobhanMuir

10. Try Your Luck
    By Wakefield Mahon
    It all started with a bet. You’d think I would have learned by now, following that damned fool in his failed grab for power. I lost my job, got thrown out of my comfy house all because he thought he’d be a better boss. In my defense, the man is slicker than any used car salesman you’ve ever met.
    Oh right, the bet. He said I couldn’t find 100 people with a lick of sense. Of course, he explained the rules of the bet AFTER I accepted. “Human beings have one common saying, ‘I can resist anything except temptation.” So he dropped me in the hottest place on this forsaken earth and put a charm on the place. Now I’m waiting for 100 souls to pass this sign and come back out of town without giving in to the lights, the glamour, the sex, the alcohol and the shiniest gem of all, the chance at “easy money”. I’m not giving up, though. When I win I’m taking over the gang and leaving him in the desert. I’ll apologize to the Boss and get my old air conditioned mansion back. I just need 86 more volunteers. Care to try your luck?
    200 Words
    @WakefieldMahon

11. The poster of the Las Vegas sign was thumb- tacked over her bed, and some nights when we did acid and stared at it long enough, we would see the lights blinking and the neon flashing against the desert sky. Sometimes we even thought we could smell the sage and hear Elvis.

Her hands would search mine out, like a spider crawling over the sheets. Our fingers would twist. Our bare thighs would rub together, skin on goose-pimpled skin. Soon enough our lips and tongues would collide and swirl.
    Fireworks exploded behind my closed eyelids.

Her motto was “I can resist anything except temptation.” I knew someone else said it first, but didn’t really care who it was. Some long dead poet or something probably. Some pile of dust in a box in a hole in the ground.
    As far as I was concerned, Mallory was the only girl in school. The only person at in the world really, everyone else had melted into a dull fuzzy shape in the background.

But I’m jumping ahead of myself. Before we go any further, I should tell you how this all started. It’s a pretty good story.

195 words

12. The devil lives in Vegas. No, really. You’ll find him if you get drunk and desperate enough, lounging at the back tables like some ghetto James Bond, straightening his bow tie and trying to start a baccarat game.

He’s been there for years. It all started with the slot machines, a money mill ground from parched Nevada soil. Inconsiderate luck, hope turning to shit with one too many pulls of the lever. A car, a vacation, a student loan payment: there, and then gone. That fast. The Devil doesn’t even have to whisper in your ear. You do it to yourself.

But in the wolf’s hour, when your conscience finally gets tired, the Devil will get you into the big game. With a smile, he shuffles the cards. Pick your stakes. A husband, a wife, a cherished memory, your family jewels (literal or figurative). All up on the table. Suddenly it’s not a metaphor anymore. It’s the last joys of your life, drawn out through your ears like wet, wriggling maggots, plopped on the green felt while the Devil shuffles.

The game is rigged, and the House always wins. But you play anyway. You can resist anything but temptation.

199 words / @surlymuse

13. Marie Frizelle on said:

Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas. The sign should read Welcome to The Enormous Carbon Footprint, Las Vegas. Seriously, if you are labeled the brightest city on Earth when seen from space, this does not give you bragging rights. Maybe that’s really why Vegas has so many churches per capita. It needs to ask for a lot of forgiveness.

She makes her way down the stairwell and waits until late. She removes the charges from her backpack, places them strategiously, and exits the building.

Fifteen minutes later there is an explosion at the Bellagio that rocks most of the strip. Chunks of concrete and clouds of dust shower down on the poor gamblers and hookers still out wandering at this hour. She doesn’t like polluting but it’s necessary for the cause.

She is still standing there when the police arrive. They ask her why she did it.

“It all started with those snooty Bellagio security guards. It’s damn hot here and the water looked so inviting. I can resist anything but temptation. When they caught me swimming in the fountain they banned me from the casino.”

185 words
    @mariefrizelle

14. My revised entry as I forgot the Judges quote – silly me 🙂

Bright Lights

Vegas had promised me everything yet took everything, but I knew that I would be back as I can resist anything except temptation…

199 words

15. The bruises on my arms were throbbing from where the security guards threw me out of the casino. I couldn’t believe that it had come to this. I know I can get caught up in the moment, but even I had to admit that this time I’d probably gone too far.

The sound of jingling keys made me look up as Sergeant Wilde strode to the door of the cell, a disappointed look on his face. Like I was just one more loser who didn’t know when to stop

“Let’s go,” he said. “You’re wife’s here to pick you up.”

I almost asked if I could stay in here. The bars at might least keep me safe from a well-deserved tongue lashing.

I rose glumly, and followed the police officer out of the holding cells.

She stood by the door, her arms crossed in front of her. She shook her head slightly when she saw me and turned to walk outside.

Sergeant Wilde moved behind the counter to hand me the mobile phone and wallet he’d confiscated earlier then promptly ignored me.

Our car was parked right out front, the engine already running. The three steps from the police station to the passenger door were among the hardest I’d ever made.

She didn’t even look at me as I climbed into the car.

“Well… it all started-“

“Don’t talk to me now,” she said as she sped away from the curb. “We’ll discuss it when we get home.”

248 Words
    @GZidar

• Revised

The bruises on my arms were throbbing from where the security guards threw me out of the casino. I couldn’t believe that it had come to this. It seems I can resist anything except temptation.

“Let’s go,” he said. “You’re wife’s here to pick you up.”

I rose glumly, and followed the police officer out of the holding cells.

She didn’t even look at me as I climbed into the car.

“Well… it all started-“

@GZidar
      232 Words

16. Rebecca Grace Allen on said:

“When?” The word is spoken almost silently, on the tails of her shudder.

She should know by now she shouldn’t speak at all.

Her back pressed to the wall, arms stretched above her head, pale skin reflecting the bright lights of Vegas below us, I shouldn’t let her say anything, but I do.

“When what?”

“When did you decide you wanted me?”

It all started years ago – that Halloween party in college. When she covered up the hickey her boyfriend sucked into the soft swell of her breast with a fake tattoo. I decided then that she was mine. But I don’t tell her that.

“When I saw you in the back of the casino, wearing this little black dress,” I lie, ripping it from her slender shoulders. “Such a dirty girl, tempting me like that.”

She whimpers when I rake my teeth along the smooth column of her throat.

“And I can resist anything except temptation.”

I take her the way I’d always planned on that night long ago. When she wakes, there aren’t enough tattoos in the world to hide the markings on her flesh.

She looks down at her body and smiles.

195 words
    @RGraceAllen

17. This dusty stretch of highway has become a friend. Seventeen miles of dependable nothingness. In the dark, early morning, it’s a cool, quiet drive to visit Jenny.

It all started because we were living out at the ranch. I’d insisted we move away from the sweaty, fascinated tourists, and from the Las Vegas strip introducing neon excitement to their mundane lives. It was too loud in the city for me. I needed stillness.

Out here, drinking became our recreation. It passed the time and Jenny felt it salved my wounds. Tequila is a cheap painkiller. I craved it constantly and I can resist anything except temptation.

After a few months, Jenny told me she wanted to return to dancing, that other men would pay for the things she did free of charge for me. She was tired of hanging out in the desert with only cacti, tequila and my misery to keep her company. But she didn’t understand that I couldn’t let her be taken advantage of by strangers – not again. She never saw danger like I did.

I’ve made sure she’s safe where she is now, and I visit her every day. I’m sure she enjoys the stillness too.

200 words

• REVISED…FORGOT TO INCLUDE TWITTER HANDLE

200 words / jtvancouver

18. As Lina stared at the Las Vegas sign, she thought the way the lights painted her—the cast of neon glow—was fitting. The light was otherworldly, no, alien on her and she had become an alien to herself. Thinking back, it all started as soon as she decided to go with acquaintances on a vacation.

1. She never went on vacation.
    2. If she ever had, it wouldn’t have been with strangers.
    3. Desperate for change, her coworkers and their friends were what she had to work with.

So, she went: shattering the woman she used to know between body shots and open-mouthed kisses. With more than one person.

The hoots and hollers of her companions burst her bubble of thoughtfulness, as a man whose name she couldn’t remember, but taste she could recall yelled, “You coming, hot tits? Or are you scared of what might happen?” He must not have remembered her name, either.

She needed to put the brakes on hard. But he had a nice smile.

She felt that alien grin with her lips again and her resolve flickered like a lightning bug in the night. “Sure. I mean, I can resist anything…except temptation.”

@J_M_Blackman
    198

19. Cliché as it sounds, it all started on my trip to Sin City. I shouldn’t have gone. I knew I shouldn’t have gone, and everyone who knew me said as much many times over. The lure of Las Vegas won out with smug inevitability. Of course, I claimed purely scientific interest—I was there for the atomic test watching parties.

In the words of the great Oscar Wilde, “I can resist anything except temptation.” It isn’t the mantra I would have chosen had it been up to me, but I cannot deny it is the one I live by. I satiated every unsavory appetite within a week of my arrival all before my first atomic test watching party. The party from which I alone walked away, and which I do not doubt is responsible for my current condition.

Irradiation set a fire in my veins driving my dark hungers to unnatural heights. Whether I had become a monster or a god I couldn’t say—though I wasn’t so foolish as to reveal my condition to others.

Seventy years later, as a moth to flame, I have returned to the scene under the name of Dorian.

195 words
    @DavidALudwig

20. “Oscar Wilde said, ‘I can resist anything except temptation.’ Mae West said, ‘I generally avoid temptation unless I can’t resist it.’ And Mark Twain said, ‘I deal with temptation by yielding to it.’ So, when Las Vegas built itself up into ‘Sin City,’ there was nothing new under the sun.

“What Vegas did do was to bring together all of the strongest temptations in a single location. Sex, gambling, liquor, drugs – they’re all here – some legally, some not.

“That’s why I’m a cop and that’s why I’m dedicating this new casino to my partner, Tommy, who is still missing and presumed dead.

“Tommy was my partner for five years before he disappeared and we didn’t always see eye to eye on everything, but it’s just not the same without him, as I’m sure my fellow officers will agree.

“I wish he could have seen all of this but at least we know that he will always be a cornerstone in our organization.”

162 Words
    @LupusAnthropos

21. VIVA LAS VEGAS

It all started when that damn Welcome To Vegas sign came into view.

Bobby launched into his ‘we oughtta quit shacking up and get hitched, darlin’ shtick and frankly, I’d chomped down one too many motion-sickness pills to be all that coherent, so I said if he was asking, I was all in.

Thirty minutes and a double shot of whiskey later, I was standing at an alter with an Elvis impersonator and saying I do. Buzzed or sober, I can resist anything except temptation.

Waking up handcuffed to a buck naked stranger and realizing that I’d married Elvis instead of being married by Elvis came as something of a shock.

But a couple consummations and a half bottle of tequila later, I was All Shook Up and feeling pretty smitten with my Big Hunk Of Love, which only goes to show that you should never underestimate the power of a good pelvis.

Yeah, Viva Las Vegas, baby!!

– – – – – – – – – –
    158 words / @bullishink

22. I don’t know what’s so fucking fabulous about a town that doesn’t have a single pro sports team. Sure, the sports books let you to bet on everything from NHL preseason penalty minutes to who’d make the last shot of the Final Four, but when it all started, it was just a less-dry patch of scrubland that some yahoo, lost on the way to LA, stumbled over.

It’s been crawling with lost souls ever since, and the drinks just get pricier. If it wasn’t for a nearly inexhaustible supply of topologically-enhanced showgirls and work around the fringes, I sure as fuck wouldn’t be here.

#122
    @etcet

• I don’t know what’s so fucking fabulous about a town that doesn’t have a single pro sports team. Sure, the sports books let you to bet on everything from NHL preseason penalty minutes to who’d make the last shot of the Final Four, but when it all started, it was just a less-dry patch of scrubland that some yahoo, lost on the way to LA, stumbled over.

When you live on everyone else’s desperation, Vegas is where it’s at. Doesn’t make it any saner, just more lucrative. And I can resist anything except temptation, especially when there’s a lot of numbers left of the decimal.

#141
      @etcet

23. Accessing Historical Archives, reference King Wild Thing the Only:

Of the brief reign of the self-appointed King Wilde Thing the Only of the Vegas Empire there is little to say. It all started in the dark period known as the Radiation Times, when the missiles had finally been expended, and lasted a mere two years before he perished of an unknown ailment.

He had a proper name but was known as The Wilde Thing for so long he neither remembered nor cared what it had been.

Half a century of depravity and debauchery had muddled his thought processes. Theories suggest he’d been a man of letters. It seems likely that was where he’d first encountered the name Wilde.

As with his namesake, Wilde Thing’s credo was: “I can resist anything except temptation.” He drank and smoked heavily, abused narcotics and abused humanity.

He was the type that in Old West times would have raped the women and stampeded the cattle. However, in the case of Wilde Thing, vice versa would have been just as acceptable.

Suddenly quite embarrassed, Calvin decided perhaps he might find another subject for his Ancient History report and went back to the Historical Archive search menu.

200 words @klingorengi

24. Rebekah Postupak on said:

At first she thought the sign fabulous. She—or at least her photo—stretched out almost fifty feet, long and lean and draped in shimmering red silk.

“I can resist anything except Temptation,” read the caption.

“Temptation” meant the men’s cologne, of course, for which she was only an ad girl; but she took open pride in being recognized around town for it. Dealers in some of the smaller casinos even called her the Temptress. She wore the name like a tiara.

And she clung to the name, even as the shadows lengthened and the time came when it all started crumbling around her. She clung to the name long after any decent girl would have let go.

But she’d never been a decent girl.

She sat alone on the hotel bed now, staring alternately at the cursed, faint silhouette just visible out the window, and the indifferent promise of permanent relief lying in her hands.

“The Devil takes the Temptress,” she whispered. “The End.”

She reached across the nightstand to switch off the lamp first, but something in the nightstand’s half-opened drawer caught her eye.

A book. Plain. Unpretentious.

She breathed, slowly.

Not the end.

Perhaps (?) ….

(perhaps!)

the beginning.

200 words
    @postupak

25. “Baby, we should go to Vegas!” Charlie bounced through the door.

“What? No. I can resist anything except temptation.” God, he looked good. That half-smile of his made my heart pound.

“What are you talking about? You don’t even gamble.” He grabbed an apple out of the basket on the counter.

“So there’s no reason to go, is there?” I snatched the apple and took a bite.

“Sure there is! We could watch some shows, like George Wallace – my buddy said he’s hilarious and gives out free stuff.” He winked as he snatched the apple back and took a bite.

“Is he raunchy? Because I think that kind of humor is in bad taste.” I leaned toward him and opened my mouth. He let me take another bite of the apple.

“Nah, he’s just funny, I think. Please, go to Vegas with me, Baby!” He leaned in close to my face. Too close.

“I really should stay away from temptation.” My heart raced and I turned to get something out of the refrigerator. I didn’t know what, but I needed to cool down.

“What temptation? You couldn’t care less about casinos and the only other thing Vegas has is… Oh. Really? Temptation?” I turned to see a huge smile on his face – not one of those smoldering half-smiles, but a gleaming all-teeth smile that practically knocked me over.

“I don’t know…it all started bubbling up when you said Vegas. If we go, we might end up…” I bit my lip. I couldn’t actually say it.

“And that would be bad?” His eyebrows pinched together.

“We just haven’t planned anything. We haven’t thought it through, or even talked about it…” He moved toward me and placed his finger over my lips.

“Baby, will you marry me?”

@lissajean7
    295 words…yeah, I ran out of time and this is as short as I got it…Ah, well, I thought I’d share anyway! 🙂

26. #MenageMonday is now closed. Thank you all for writing and good luck in the judging!